Win a set of Uni Lambretta engine casings | COMPETITION
It’s fair to say that the last few casings/complete engines that came out of Scooters India Limited weren’t the best quality but when it’s all you can get… Well not any more because Indian manufacturer, Uni have their long-awaited 200cc Lambretta casings in production with a mid-January delivery date and we have a set for one lucky reader to win.
The casings have been designed with the help of Ray and Ben Kemp at AF Rayspeed (AF are the UK distributor for UNI) and a test batch of initial casings have been assembled and tested by different Lambretta shops. They all gave the go-ahead to start production and have confirmed orders of their own. The aim was to produce a standard style affordable engine casing with great quality and improved features, a casing that would also be a good base for further tuning and that would accept all standard type parts. It looks like they met the brief quite well. We haven’t got a retail price on the casings yet but they’re said to be very reasonable.
Uni engine casings
Although the Uni casings are designed around the original spec casings there have been some significant, yet subtle improvements made.
- UNI casings are made by High-Pressure die-cast technology using high-grade alloys and state of the art equipment. This ensures a high-quality finish, strength and dimensional accuracy to withstand long-term stress, wear and tear.
- The cylinder base surface has been slightly enlarged to match the transfer ports of performance cylinder kits. This additional material not only facilitates further tuning but also reduces the chances of damaging the casing during removal and installation of the mag flange.
- The Mag side and drive side transfer shapes have been optimized to improve their symmetry and aid smooth gas flow.
- The outside diameter of the primary compression area has been beefed up with extra aluminium. This ensures that the crank area can be bored out 4mm larger to facilitate fitment of larger diameter crank webs with longer stroke options without the risk of weakening or damaging the engine casing.
- The engine bump stop has been redesigned to ensure greater clearance for a variety of tyres without any fouling issues.
- Areas around the engine mounts have been strengthened to ensure that these can take additional stress without cracking.
- The support ribs around the gearbox end plate have been strengthened to ensure that these are not damaged while removing the end plate.
- The rear brake shoe pivot pins and the rear brake cam hole have been optimally located to ensure even application of brake shoes and improved braking performance.
- The rear brake cam lever can be easily removed and installed without removing the rear hub. Saves a lot of time and effort!
The polisher’s verdict
John Walklate has already polished UNI casings and had this to say about them “The quality of the casting and the material used is second to none for a standard casing. As an unpolished casing the finish is really impressive and thought has gone into the end product. They have even made several improvements when compared to an Innocenti item. I’ve polished a lot of casings over the years and the Uni casings are in my opinion top notch and great value for money”.
Who are Uni?
Uni Auto Enterprises was started in New Delhi, India in 1985 by Mr A.K. Mittal, a mechanical engineer by trade. He started selling parts for home market Lambros. Son, Manish Mittal joined the company in 1992 and the firm started exporting parts under the Uni Auto International name.
The company have built a reputation for quality and now makes various OEM specification parts for modern high-end motorcycles and of course parts for both Vespa and Lambretta. The company makes parts from aluminium, brass, stainless steel, sheet metal, rubber, plastic and any other material used to manufacture a complete automobile. They export to Europe and other countries around the world.
Uni Lambretta parts
- Lambretta engine casings
- Lambretta close ratio gearboxes
- Lambretta flywheel and cylinder cowlings
- Clubman exhausts
- Fuel tanks
- Lambretta forks
- front and rear hubs
- Mag flange
- Various dampers
- Speedos Cylinder kits
- Stainless steel accessories
We have one Uni engine casing up for grabs. The prize will be delivered to the lucky winner as soon as the casings are available (expected mid-January).
To be in with a chance of winning just answer this multiple choice question and also tell us why you deserve to win them. Simply answer as a comment below this feature to enter.
The original home of the Arthur Francis ‘S ‘Type was in…
The competition closes on New Year’s Eve at 6 pm, get your entries in…
New products always in development…