SIP electric conversions for classic scooters | NEWS
SIP Scootershop has joined the electric scooter revolution with the release of kits to convert classic scooters to a greener solution. As needed for the increasing number of cities and areas where fossil fuels are banned.
The conversions come from Smeets Classics in the Netherlands and are suitable for most classic Vespas, small frame Lambrettas and some modern automatic scooters (ET2/ET4). The kits can be home fitted by an owner with some mechanical competence, as some fabrication may be needed to fit the universal swinging arm and motor. The 60 v Li-Ion battery has a range of 50 km (28 miles) and a top speed of 55 kph – ideal for city use. Of course, these kits aren’t meant for us long distance scooter riders – they’re a way to still use a classic scooter when legislation is against you.
Vespa: 125 VNA-TS/150 VBA -Super/160 GS/ 180 SS/ Rally/PX/PE/T5/ETS/ET2/ET2/Sprint
Lambretta: 50-75 Lui/50-125 J
- First remove the original engine unit and replace it with the electric motor including swing-arm. Both the shock absorber and main pivot mountings can still be used for the new motor. Depending on the model of scooter, a few spacers may be required to eliminate any mechanical play.
- The motors controller and converter units can now be located within the frame. Some initiative is required to mount them safely, the manufacturers recommend the modules be glued in a protected position.
- The cables from the throttle grip need then to be routed from the steering assembly, through the frame to the motors controller module.
- The original wiring looms power supply and earth cables can then be connected to the 12-volt port located on the controller.
- The positioning of the motors main power switch also requires a little consideration and depends completely on the individual choice and requirements of the rider. On Vespa models the fuel tap opening in the frame can be enlarged for this purpose.
- The battery can then be placed beneath the seat in the space vacated by the fuel tank, connected to the main switch and you are ready to go!
- Battery: Li-Ion; 60V/20Ah
- Range: 50 kilometres (31 miles)
- Maximum speed: 55 kph (34mph)
- Battery charging period: 4-5 hours from 0-100%
- Motor: Bosch 1000W with 60V
- Aluminium swing-arm
- Throttle grip with integrated battery charge indicator
SLUK Shop – we still rely on fossil fuels