Rare Italian scooter collection auction | NEWS
Brightwells Auctioneers have an interesting collection of Italian vehicles up for auction tomorrow (March 8th 2017) including some really rare scooters.
Amongst the usual selection of Vespa and Lambretta which include a Vespa 125 GT and several Lambretta J-ranges there are some true oddities and rarities from the Italian collection of Andy Heywood of Bill McGrath Ltd; a Maserati specialists from Hertfordshire.
Andy built up the collection as “a little bit of a bad/great shopping habit” which, according to the auctioneer, had the result that “his wife was not that happy with the barn being filled up with scooters!”
Well, Andy is not alone…
Several of the scooter models for sale are small-capacity, often from brands who tried their hands at the market in the 1960s long after Piaggio and Innocenti had taken an unassailable lead in the scooter race.
Examples up for auction include:
- Gitan Joligri from Piacenza.
- Aermacchi Breeza (sometime badged Harley Davidson and therefore great for upsetting bikers)
- Ducati Brio (another embarrassing flop from the famous motorcycle firm from Bologna)
- BM Pokerino (another 50cc chain-drive failure from Bologna)
- Gilera G50 (a mirror-image ‘Vespa’ with a 4-stroke engine)
For more details see the auction listing here.
Cheers to Steve Rushton and Toby.