We made completely new tooling and redesigned the screen to simplify and improve fitment. Now there are no ugly brackets. Instead, the screen clamps around the headlight rim using a special Hi-Torque* stainless steel band fastener.
The original Biemme screens were made from 2mm plastic. Ours are made from 4mm acrylic-coated ABS material and come in a choice of high gloss black, white, silver or carbon effect and can be painted to match your scooter for that bespoke look.
It’s hardly an IKEA sideboard but there is a minor bit of home assembly required, the clear ‘cockpit’ and laser-cut stainless trim needs attaching to the main part of the screen using the 7 stainless steel bolts and Nyloc nuts (supplied). The metal trim sits uppermost.
Fitting is simple thanks to the Hi-Torque fastener which slides over the inner lip of the screen. Not only is it quick and easy to fit but it also means taking it off is simple when you need to get into the headset to change a cable or bulb.
Fitting video: See how quick they are to fit here
Before fitting simply wrap a length of decent quality electrical tape (Gaffa tape, or 3M tape gives good adhesion and is thick enough to allow the Hi-Torque fitting to grip firmly) around your headlight rim and any painted areas that the screen touches. The tape serves to protect the paintwork and also to give the gloss screen a good surface to grip on to. Simply slide the screen over the headlight rim and tighten the clip, either using a screwdriver or socket. Note, on the SXL5, the band locates immediately behind the headlight adjuster casting at the bottom of the headlight rim.
The design has been trimmed for clearance to the legshields and also to avoid some hydraulic brake set-ups. However, if your scooter has an embellisher, thicker legshield rubber or hydraulics master cylinder fitted, you may just need to trim the screen slightly at home to clear it. You can trim the ABS with a Dremel or a hand file.
- Designed and made in the UK.
- Exclusive SLUK product
- Simple to fit: pushes over the headlight rim and secures to the headset using the Hi-Torque clip.
- Quick to remove: for ease of changing cables and bulbs.
- Made from tough ABS plastic (as used for most motorcycle fairings) it can be easily trimmed, sanded or painted.
- Produced in racy high-gloss finish (white/black/silver/carbon effect)
- Fully packaged and ready to fit after simple assembly.
- Shipped direct from the manufacturer.
- Made to order but usually shipped within 3 days.
- UK postage £6.95, World £15-£18
Video: SLUK SXL5
* Hi-Torque fasteners can be tightened to 15Nm (approximately 3 times tighter than a traditional hose clip) however over-tightening risks damage to the screen. We recommend you periodically tighten the band to ensure the screen remains firmly fixed.
* At least a single layer of electrical tape must be applied to the headset before fitting the screen if you do not want the paint to become marked during use.