Technology is a wonderful thing, particularly if it’s useful and enhances your scooter riding experience in some way. Helmet cams and indeed rider to pillion communication devices have been around for some time now. In this feature we look at a new fully integrated HUD or “Head Up Display” which combines both of these features, as well as high tech navigation and music capabilities.
NUVIZ, the first integrated Head-Up Display designed specifically for motorcycle and scooter riders, is now available in Europe.
What Does it do?
It brings together the functions of a motorcyclist’s navigation, communication, media player and HD action camera into a single device, NUVIZ also includes a wireless handlebar controller that offers control of the various functions, even if you’re wearing gloves.
How does it fit?
The display fits simply and easily to a full-face helmet and displays information in a user custom view in the natural line of sight of the rider, essential really as it allows you to keep your eyes on the road ahead.
Where can I get one?
They can be purchased directly from the NUVIZ website. The current price is £615.00 with free shipping, this may seem a bit steep, but it is a multi functional device and is the first of it’s kind.
Returns and warranty
NUVIZ has a 30 day return option and also comes complete with a 1 year warranty.
- Head-Up Display – the patented HUD creates an image in the rider’s line of sight, giving them access to relevant information including driving conditions and maps. The Liquid Crystal On Silicon micro display offers crisp and vibrant full colour display in all lighting conditions.
- Navigation – Included GPS function and global offline maps allow riders to select routes and destinations and receive turn-by-turn instructions, zoomable maps and more. All maps are included with the device, negating the need to buy further maps for your road trips.
- HD action camera – the built-in camera captures photos up to 8MP and HD videos up to 1080p/30fps. Photos are saved to the rider’s smartphone via Bluetooth and videos recorded directly onto a microSD card (smartphone and SD card not included). Neatly housed on a ball joint, the angle of the camera can be adjusted easily and the HUD allows for a ‘live view’ to align the camera after being attached to the helmet mount. The device includes a light sensor that automatically adjusts the brightness.
- Communication – the integrated headset and microphone allow riders to make and receive phone calls and provide narration on videos. Compatible with most major brand Bluetooth enabled headsets, NUVIZ users can pair and communicate with others too.
- Music – the integrated headset means that NUVIZ riders can listen to music on the go, as long of course, that it’s safe to do so.
The wireless controller can be mounted in a variety of ways depending on the user’s preference or type of scooter and the base-plate system means it can be easily transferred between scooters.
A handy protective carry bag keeps key components together when removed from the scooter and helmet.
The NUVIZ pairs with a dedicated smartphone app – available both for Android and iOS devices – which allows riders to play routes and save favourite rides, access photos captured on the device and view riding statistics captured by the NUVIZ sensors. Users can also share the information directly to social media. The App allows for easy (and free) updates as well as integration of the new NUVIZ features as soon as they are added.
Compatible with most existing traditional full-face helmets, the NUVIZ attaches to a low-profile base-plate, designed to allow it to detach in the case of an accident or fall. It also adjusts to the user’s right eye that allows for small tweaks after installation to ensure the ultimate view.
The HUD combiner optic is replaceable and has additional accessory mounting kits to allow for one NUVIZ device to transfer to different helmets and controllers to different scooters
NUVIZ, Incorporated. is a privately-owned technology company from San Diego, California and also Salo, Finland. They are backed by a strategic investment from Pierer Industrie AG, the parent company behind KTM Industries, Husqvarna Motorcycles, WP Suspension and Pankl Racing Systems. find out more about NUVIZ and their products here..
Support ScooterLab by buying from the SLUK Shop