Huge spike for scooter sales after Covid-19 | NEWS
Alternative modes of transport have certainly become popular with commuters since Covid-19 crippled the world. After all, who would want to be cooped up on a bus, train, or tube carriage with loads of strangers? Not me that’s for sure.
Latest registration figures released by the MCIA show motorcycle dealers had a good June, as you’d expect quite naturally after being forced to close for two of the busiest months of the year. Figures for June show a 14.8% rise on the same month last year, with 13,361 machines sold. Some dealers have virtually sold all their stock as they await delayed orders to arrive from recently restarted factories around the world.
46.6% increase for 125cc scooters
Motorcycle sales show an 8% rise when compared to June 2019 but scooter sales went up by a whopping 43.1% overall. Interestingly, the almost dead moped market (0-50cc) went up by 37.9% and the 51-125cc class by 46.6%. This shows that the public have ditched their usual germ-ridden transport in favour of an economical and easy to ride scooter.
Reasons to ride a scooter
- Freedom to ride where and when you want (within reason)
- Social distancing and full PPE as standard
- Traffic busting capabilities – never have to sit in traffic again
- Ease of parking, most bike/scooter parking is free and convenient
- Agility – scooters are great for getting around busy towns and cities
- Practicality, weather protection and storage built in
- Low running costs – many scooters can achieve well over 100mpg
- Environmentally friendly – scooters can be very economical, clean and cut emissions by not idling
- Cheap road tax – just £20 a year up to 150cc
- Stress relief – you can arrive on time, every time
- Ease of access – many car licence holders can ride a moped without a CBT
- You only need a one-day CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course to ride a 125cc bike or scooter
- It’s great fun!
Unlock your freedom
If you want to find out more about getting on the road, what you can ride, where you can take a CBT have a look at #Unlockyourfreedom
New rider? Let SLUK get you kitted up – scooter riding gear can be stylish