Birmingham scooter-only track day from £10 | NEWS
SLUK is backing a new venture in the scooter calendar allowing road scooterists to get their scooter on the track for a taster, a few sessions, or almost the whole day for a ridiculously affordable price. The event is in aid of charity so spectators, entrants and traders contributions will all go to the Birmingham Children’s Hospital
Wacky Scooter Races main organiser Gary Dickenson (of Hypnotised fame) was inspired by the ‘Cobblesoul’ rallies in France where the Saturday rideout went to a police-run motorsport circuit and rally-goers were allowed to hoon around for an hour or two.
Unlike scooter racing this will be a far more informal affair, with no requirement for a special race licence and far more flexibility on the clothing you can wear.
When and where?
The inaugural event will take place on Sunday 23rd of June at Birmingham Wheels kart track (postcode B8 1AD). It’s a small, twisty circuit that doesn’t require a fast engine but will test your cornering skills.
How will it work?
Two different rider groups available – allowing you to ride with those similar to you:
- CAREFUL – If you want a spin around the track simply as a taster on your road scooter.
- CONFIDENT – This is a category for good riders on road machines or those prepared specially for the track. Numbers are strictly limited.
Three different price bands for advance entries are available:
£10 – ride in one session of the ‘Careful’ group.
£25 – ride in all sessions (up to 3) of the ‘Careful’ group.
£45 – ride on all sessions (up to 6) of the ‘Confident’ group + extras*
*The £45 ‘Confident’ group riders also receive a goodie bag and free T-shirt and are eligible to qualify for ‘Race sessions’ during the day.
Get your name down
At the moment there are still a few £45 spaces left for anyone who wants to get maximum track time. This practice will be particularly handy for anyone entering the UK’s first scooter endurance race in decades (T Side 6 Event) in Teesside which is being planned for August 31st-September 1st this year.
Availability of £25 sessions is filling up but there are still expected to be places available for a £10 taster session on the day.
If you try a £10 session and enjoy yourself then there may be the opportunity to upgrade and ride in more sessions.
What else is on?
Spectators are welcome to come in for the day. There is a bar, food and music as well as the odd spare parts stall but parking spaces are strictly limited. Entry to spectate is £5.
Where can I find out more?
You can contact Gary Dickenson on 07801 610223 or via email BirminghamSW@hotmail.com
Facebook: Wacky Scooter Races
09:00 – 10:30 – Advance entry riders will be allowed into the paddock
09:30 – 09:45 – First safety briefing
09:45 – 10:30 – Basic vehicle safety check (two effective brakes, good tyres, no sharp edges, no leaks etc)
10:30 – 10:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 1
11:00 – 11:25 – CAREFUL SESSION 1
11:30 – 11:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 2
12:00 – 12:10 – Second Safety Briefing
12:15 – 12:25 – ‘Special Session 1’
12:30 – 12:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 3
13:00 – 13:25 – CAREFUL SESSION 2
13:30 – 13:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 4
30 –minute lunch break
14:30 – 14:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 5
15:00 – 15:25 – CAREFUL SESSION 3
15:30 – 15:55 – CONFIDENT SESSION 6
16:00 – 16:10 – ‘Special Session 2’
16:15 – 16:30 – ‘Special Session 3’
16:45 – Awards
Special Sessions are likely to be flag-to-flag races with eligibility decided on the day.
What else do I need?
- A scooter which would pass a day-time MoT test (lights and number-plate not required but safe and functional in all other respects. You can bring any Vespa, Lambretta or classically-styled road scooter. We recommend slower machines are entered in the CAREFUL group only. We reserve the right to refuse track access to any scooter deemed unsafe.
- Suitable clothing. An ACU-Gold stickered helmet is essential – helmets are available for hire if required. We recommend a full-face helmet, leather gloves an armoured bike jacket/trousers and boots above the ankle as a minimum. You will not be allowed to ride with exposed skin on your arms, hands or legs. For CONFIDENT Class riders we recommend two-piece or preferably one-piece leathers.
- A filled-in disclaimer form accepting that you are taking part entirely at your own risk. Forms will be available on the day or can be emailed beforehand.
New products always in development…