Africa rally for Vespa & Lambretta 2017 | NEWS
A couple of years ago I competed in Vespa Raid Maroc on a pink Vespa PX200 loaned to me by Ferran Silva, one of the event’s Spanish organising team.
I crashed his Vespa into a rain gulley on the very first day of hardcore off-road scooter riding spread between three days of time trials in the mountains and the same in the Sahara near Merzouga.
For 2017 Ferran has set up a new concept and a new destination of Tunisia with the Djerba Vespa Rally which promises to be a more relaxed classic scooter event limited to 25 competitors.
So far competitors have entered from Spain, France and Italy on both Vespas and Lambrettas.
What’s the format?
The new event is based more on adventure tourism than competition. It promises 8 special stages including one at night which will test your riding and navigational skill, but the routes chosen are less arduous than those in Morocco.
The stages fan out from 3 hotels in different areas of Tunisia covering established tracks through the wilderness, but not difficult rocky terrain like Vespa Raid Maroc.
It takes place 27 October – 9 November 2017.
What is the cost?
The price suggested is €2100 all-inclusive for 11 days.
- Ferry transfer from a port in France or Italy (Marseille or Genoa)
- Cabin on the boat
- Hotels & meals
- Transport between hotels
- Insurance, security and customs
- Spot beacon rental
- medical equipment, rescue and breakdown assistance by 6×6 truck
What do I need to enter?
Based on my previous experience with Vespa Raid Maroc:
- Vespa or Lambretta prepared to ride in arduous conditions (knobblies and long range tank minimum)
- Spares tools pack (clutches, cables, tyres, inner tubes and exhaust recommended)
- Entry fee: €2,100
- Vehicle to transport your scooter & spares to one of the ports
- Flights (if not travelling with the scooter)
- A good level of fitness.
- Preferably some off-road riding and motorsport experience.
- Off-road riding kit (boots, MX helmet with goggles and Camelbak drinking pack)
If you want to find out more, look up Djerba Vespa Rally 2017 on Facebook.
Other desert adventures
In the past there have been several organised ‘raids’ into Africa using classic scooters:
- Paris-Dakar: In 1980 the French Vespa importers famously entered four PX200s into the early gruelling editions of the Dakar, when it was still in Africa. Despite minor upgrades to the scooters it was still a torture for the French riders with endless problems with tyres and ripped rear shock rubbers. Two of the four riders finished the trip, but late and out of classification.
Vespa Raid Maroc 2014 - by Sticky
- Vespa Raid Maroc: A competitive navigational trial event on some of the hardest and most gruelling terrain for a scooter. The event started in 2012.
Scooter Trophy 2016
Scooter Trophy 2016: Replacing the Vespa Raid Maroc, but following a very similar competitive format in Morocco. See this link for more info.